Firmware Release V2.024- May 19, 2022
Release Notes in German
Release Notes in Portuegese
This is our first 2022 software release for the Graupner mz-16 and mz-32 radios brings many new innovations and enhancements to the Graupner radio.
This release takes personalization and customization of the radio system several steps ahead in our industry.
With the new UI (user interface) and voice toolkit, the radio can be customized with its own look and feel while also allowing the user to quickly create and generate voice notifications with little to no complexities.
User and voice notices can now be customized to use user-created voice files adding another level to the customization and personalization functionality of the radio.
We added two new wing and tail mixer types and expanded the functionality of the in-flight direct adjust system with many additional improvements for managing and setting up models faster and easier.
This release also adds support for turbine telemetry. With over fifty telemetry data sets such as screen widgets, telemetry notifications, user-configurable notifications, and real-time sensor switches, the mz-16 and mz-32 provide unsurpassed connectivity to our turbine customers.
The widget system has been further expanded with many new widget types for new telemetry data types.
We also added new graphing and plotting widgets for a wide range of telemetry data types, allowing users to analyze data sets such as altitude, current, voltage, speed, and others in real-time.
The GPS map widget is now easier to use with the new online GPS Map Maker. Maps can now be loaded by entering the map name in the widget, automatically loading the proper map coordinates.
This release also includes numerous fixes and user-requested functions that show our commitment to our customers and brand.
Updating to this new version will require several steps to ensure that all the needed software and resources are downloaded and installed on the radio.
While the software can be downloaded and installed using built-in WiFi communication, it will be faster and more efficient to use the firmware software updater to ensure a proper installation.
Before updating your radio, make a backup of all your models and any other files you installed, such as custom voices and images.
Place the radio in Mass Storage Mode (System/USB/Mass Storage).
Start the firmware upgrade studio to perform the updates.
Make sure to check the download resource files checkbox.
Check out our YouTube videos showing how to update the radio.
After the firmware has been downloaded and installed, you can copy your files back to the radio.
After the update, when loading a model used in a previous software version, it needs to be converted to support the new software version.
This is easily done by loading the model and restarting the radio or loading another model.
This will save the current loaded model to the radios storage card with the new model format.
The same needs to be done to add support for the new widget types. Load your model with your preferred widget layout and save it in the system set, preset widget menu.
User Radio Toolkits
When turning the display screen to off, after briefly pressing the power button, it can now be re-activated by pressing any of the radio keys.
Trim View Settings
You can now control whether the trim view menu will show when using the trims and for how long the screen will remain in view (1- 5 seconds).
There is also an option to turn the trim view off and access it from the base menu or create a trim widget.
- Brightness Control: There is now an option to assign a control to adjust the screen brightness. Use any control for adjusting screen brightness. For a full linear adjustment, use a DV or LV control.
- Backlight Control: You can now turn the backlight on or off by assigning a momentary control to toggle the screen on or off. To turn the screen on again, toggle the control or press any of the navigation keys on the radio.
- Touch Sensitivity: You can adjust the sensitivity of the touchscreen to your liking by assigning a control to the sensitivity option. After final adjustment, delete the control which will retain the set value.
New Voice Announcements
- Euler angle for roll and pitch: This can be obtained when using a Graupner multirotor controller P/N S1038, S1034, S1035. You will need to set the logging type to 0 in the controller.
- Compass Heading: This can be obtained when using a Graupner multirotor controller P/N S1038, S1034, S1035. You will need to set the logging type to 10 in the controller.
- Acceleration for X, Y and Z axis: When using the Vario or GPS Logger 3 from sm-Modellbau.
- Airspeed: When using the Vario or GPS Logger 3 from sm-Modellbau. Note that the GPS Logger 3 provides both ground (GPS) speed and airspeed when using a TEK tube.
Voice Notice - Notice Customizations
Users can now customize voice notices in the following ways:
Announcement length By default, a telemetry voice notice is generated as follows: <Telemetry Module><Function><Value>
Voice Notices: You can change the default voice notices for the device and function with a custom voice file.
To make the change, tap on the voice item you want to change, which brings up the toolbar, and select the edit (pencil) icon to choose a new voice file.
Ensure to uncheck the device and function boxes to avoid a very long voice announcement.
User Notice - Notice (Telemetry) Customizations
You can now use user-created voice files for telemetry voice notifications.
To change the default voice announcement, tap on the user notice number to display the toolbar. Tap on the pencil (edit) icon, which will show the file manager from where you can select your voice file.
Note that you will need to disable the pre-warning in the notice to hear only the custom voice notice.
Note: If you modify the receiver strength user notice, it must set as the first user notice.
New Micro Vario and GPS Logger3 Widgets
New Graphic Curve Display Widgets
When using the RF, TH. Cut and the Lock widget there will be a voice announcement of the state of the widget. For example, when tapping on the throttle cut widget, it will change it's color and announce its active state. You can control the behavior of each in the System Notice menu.
You can now add a widget that will graphically show the trim positions of your flight controls (DT-DT4).
There is an additional widget for digital trims (DT5-DT8) if assigned in the Trim Set menu.
You will find the new widgets in the System add widget list.
Wing Mixers - Wing-Tail Menu
- Added rudder to aileron mixer
- Added rudder to elevator mixer
- Added dead-band function to all wing tail mixers. It effectively creates a dead band in the center of the mix. Move your control to the desired position and tap on the store button to record the value.
SUMDin at D.S.C. I/O Port
When accessing the Servo View menu, the channel name now shows on the horizontal bar including the deflection percentage. If a channel is swapped, the destination channel is show at the end of the view bar.
For example, when swapping both flap channels, the source and destination channels can be viewed in the servo view.
Tapping on the Servo View screen will switch the view where deflection percentage is show and channel position in microseconds.
Direct Adjust - Various
You can now activate or de-activate a direct adjust setting in the Direct Adjust menu.
When active, the lock symbol is highlighted in orange.
The state of the direct adjust entry will also show as dimmed (inactive) for the actual curve point in the mix.
When assigning a DT control to adjust a curve point, it will now influence the same curve point within each flight phase.
This simplifies managing multiple direct adjust entries, which can be re-activated when needed for a new in-flight control surface adjustment.
Free Mixer De-Active View
When a mix in the free mixer's menu is not active, it will show as dimmed.
This will also be shown in the mix details menu where the link type and mixer name will be dimmed.
GPS Satellites Voice Announcements
Added a new active satellite received voice announcements to the User Warning, Voice Notice and Sensor Switch menus.
This allows you to actively monitor the available satellites and receive alarms when the minimum number of satellites are not received.
When integrated with the Sensor Switch menu, you can further extend the functionality by for example. activate a return to home or inhibit motor activation until a sufficient number of satellites are received:
Compatible GPS Products: Graupner HoTT GPS / GPS-Logger 3 / Elite GPS Logger / PowerBox GPS ii
GPS Widget Maps
The GPS Map Widget can now read GPS coordinate from text files created with the online GPS Map Maker
Generate the map file online and make sure that the TXT and BMP file names are identical and copy both to the maps folder on the radio.
Select an empty deck and create a map widget and select the 9-block widget size.
Tap and press on the widget and select the map file when prompted.
Turbine Telemetry Support
This software release provides substantial support for pilots that fly with turbines and require real-time telemetry display and information of their turbine system.
Graupner has partnered with CB-Electronics in Germany, specializing in ECU (Engine Control Units) for many turbine vendors such as JetCat, Kolibri, ProJet, EvoJet, XICOY and Kingtech.
Our radios are fully integrated with their ECU systems and instantly recognized when connected to the radio system.
The pilot can set up customized notifications and alarms depending on his needs and design his widget decks with on-screen plotting and logging options.
We currently support the following:
Voltage – Temperature – Turbine Temperature – Current – RPM – Capacity – Power – Air Speed – PWM – Throttle – Flow Rate – Fuel – Energy – Force – Pump Voltage – Pump Temperature – Engine Number
Minimal Voltage – Max. Turbine Temperature – Min. RPM – Max. RPM – Max. Capacity – Min. Pump Voltage – Max. Pump Temperature – Min. Speed – Max. Speed – Min. Fuel – Min. Altitude – Max. Altitude
User Configurable Notifications:
Voltage – Temperature – Turbine Temperature – Current – RPM – Capacity – Power – Min. Voltage – Max. Temperature – Max. Turbine Temperature – Max. Current – Min. RPM – Max. RPM – Max. Power - Air Speed – Min. Speed – Max. Speed - PWM – Throttle – Flow Rate – Fuel – Energy – Force – Pump Voltage – Pump Temperature – Engine Number – Altitude – Max. Altitude
Sensor Telemetry Switches: Voltage - Temperature - Turbine Temperature - Current - RPM - Capacity - Air Speed - Fuel - Pump Voltage - Pump Temperature - Altitude
Wireless LAN Update
Update the radio software over Wi-Fi, will now also include resources such as voice, help and system files. Using this update method is significantly slower compared to using the available software updater utilities. If you still get a resource file update needed after restarting the radio, there may be additional files such as manuals and other type of documentations which will require using the updater utility software.
Widgets Text Colors
Each widget can now have a different text color which can be selected from the widget detail dialog.
Tap on the text color field to change and cycle between colors.
Custom User Startup Image
User can now have their own custom splash screen during radio startup. If no model startup image is located (S_modle_name.bmp) and a S_username.bmp or S_user.bmp is found it will be used during the model load. If neither is found, the radio default splash screen is loaded.
The image type is Windows BMP and must have the following format:
480 x 272 pixels, 24bit at 72dpi.
Default Startup Image
Model Startup Image (S_model_name.bmp)
User Startup Image (S_user.bmp)
Custom User Voice Files Folder
This release provides a custom user folder under the voice folder named DV.
The generated voice files need to be stored under the DV folder when using the voice toolkit.
To have the radio use the custom generated voice files, you will need to select “User Voice” from the system/system set/voice menu and restart the radio.
Note that the folder 01_Beep may need to be copied from other folders, or you will have to make your own custom sounds
When triggering multiple voice announcements in a row you can either wait for each announcement to finish or interrupt the announcement to cycle to the next announcement. This setting is available in the system sound set menu.
YGE Telemetry Support
This release provides additional support for YGE telemetry information.
You can set telemetry alarms, voice notices and create widgets with YGE supported telemetry data such as BEC voltage and current, PWM and throttle percentage and more.
- Corrected widget transmitter percentage voltage. The percentage now corresponds with the value in the upper right screen.
- Corrected the fuel voice notice
- Fixed wrong control channels (CH11/CH12) for model types 4A2F and 4A4F causing AIL3 and AIL4 behave like flaps.
- Fixed air brake and phase trims for 4A delta wings on CH3 and CH4.
- SmartBox problem when connected to the data port.
- Phase delay at phase changes at input removed. Please check if this does have any negative effect to your existing model memories.
- NO_TELEMETRY_DATA_RECEIVED warning time delay is now dependent on the fail-safe time setting. You can change the fail-safe activation time in the Fail-Safe menu.
- Receivers that have channels mapped in the RF Set menu will retain their channel mapping when bound again unless a new model has been created or the channel mapping is reset.
- QR/Expo and Servo Set menu when making adjustments -/+ values you can switch between the value fields by moving the control stick for that channel in the direction of the field.
- Sensor Switches: When a hold control is set for a sensor switch entry and when value is active and held, it will be automatically cleared under the following condition: receiver is switched off, widgets are cleared, packet loss widget is cleared, or RF is switched to off.
- Control Notice: A new control item has been added (Value +100) which provides percentage values notices between 0% to 200%. The value control item still provides value notices 0f -100% to +100%.
- Fail Safe: If Output Swap is used for certain channels, they will now show correctly at their swapped channel. This is also reflected in the Servo View menu.
- 4A Delta Wing Models: Elevator trim is now also functional on AIL3 and AIL4
- Normal Wing Type: Elevator curve is now also influencing the ELE -> AIL mixer too.